The Public council is consulting body, comprising of 17 regular members, including chairman, appointed by the Council of Ministers as per proposal of the Minister of health. Each regular member has an spare chairman and one spare member, respectively appointed, who to act on his/her behalf in case of absence.
The Public council consists of:
– six medical specialists, with at least one specialist in the field of organs transplantation and Pediatric Hematology and Oncology and at least two specialists in the field of Pediatric illnesses;
– one representative of the Ministry of health, State Agency for Child Protection (SACP), Social Support Agency (SSA), Bulgarian Red Cross (BRC);
– two representatives of non-governmental organizations, operating in the field of children support in the country and donating;
– two representatives of representative organizations for protection of patients’ rights;
– one representative of the Bulgarian National Television (BNT), Bulgarian National Radio (BNR) and other media of the country.
The operations of the Public council is governed by the Principles and rules for operations of the Public council, Center “Fund for Treatment of Children”, voted by the members of the Public council.
The mandate of the Public council is for three years and one and the same member of the Council can participate in no more than two consecutive mandates.
The members of the Public council do not receive remuneration for their work in the Council.
According to the Regulations for the operations and organization of the Center “Fund for Treatment of Children”, the Public council is responsible for the following:
- reviews the application for organizational and financial support
- takes decisions about the applications and in case of positive statements, proposes the amount of the funds to be provided, by taking in consideration the potential deductible findings of the applicant with own funds or funds by currents accounts, escrow accounts, donation accounts or other accounts in his/her benefit and in case of negative statement, provides justification for it;
- develops , updates and publishes principles and rules for raising and spending of funds for implementation of the operations of the Fund and proposes, if required, maximum funding amounts for the relevant activities with amounts of the Fund;
- can organize, support and realize happenings for funds raising required for the operations of the Fund;
- advertises the donation initiative;
- acquires information about the diagnostic and treatment procedures performed for each patient in the country and abroad with funds, provided by the Fund;
- analyses the operations and results of the Fund;
- proposes to the Minister of health, to NHIF, to the professional organizations of the medical specialists, to scientific medical associations and to individual treatment facilities in the country the provision of medical equipment and implementation of specific methods for diagnostics and treatment and for individual operations;
- approves the list of medical items, proposes by the Director of the Fund.